Monday 15 October 2012

Ngilu's Graduation Day

Ngilu Speech on
day she graduated




"Today is a great day. A great day not just for me, my family, my friends but for the cause of lead­ership in this country. It is a great day because the power of collective effort has de­liv­ered success yet again. I stand here humbled by the support I re­ceived from so many in­di­viduals in the course of my aca­demic jour­ney.

To the Vice Chancellor-Pro­fessor. Galgalo, the Deputy Vice Chan­cellor-Professor. Esther Mombo, Mrs. Truphy Kwaka Sumba- Ag. Principal of the Nairobi Campus and Lec­turers and the whole SPU community -thank you for walking with me through this journey.
To my Permanent Sec­re­tary and staff of the Ministry of Water and Irri­gation- I am grateful to you for keeping the Min­is­try on course while I sought the power to read do all that appertains to the de­gree that I re­ceived today.
To Nduku- I want to thank you for the wake up calls, early morning pan­cakes and packed lunches that kept me going.
To Margaret, Dorcas, Mary, Mutinda, Lillian and Mueke -Thank you very much for pa­tiently waiting on me through the long hours including week­ends and public holidays while I studied.
To my Kitui Central constituents- I appreciate you for un­der­standing that my long ab­sence from the con­stituency was for a good cause.
To all my friends gathered here-Thank you for your moral support and for making time to come and celebrate with me. 
Last but not least to my family, Lunde, Mwende, Syalo and Billy, words cannot describe nor mea­sure my level of gratitude for all the support you continue to give me. I love you my children; I love you all.
Today, I can proudly say that for the last 20 years, I have served my be­loved country in various lead­ership capacities with dili­gence and focus.  Ten of these years, were spent on the oppo­sition benches in par­liament fighting for better gov­er­nance.  Whereas, I have served in the cabi­net for the last 10 years, I have never lost focus on my fight for justice and equity in our so­ci­ety. I have contributed to seeing Kitui grow from a small struggling county to becoming one of the fastest growing economic hubs in Kenya. It now boasts of many fa­cilities in Healthcare, Edu­cation, Water and Energy infrastructure. I have pre­sided over two min­is­tries, the one of Health and now Water and Irri­gation, that have witnessed sig­nifi­cant growth under my lead­ership.
Despite all these achievements and the many years that I have had in lead­ership, I felt that some­thing was still missing. It’s been 50 years. 50 years after in­de­pen­dence majority of our people are still living in poverty. There are glaring inequalities in our society. Over 22 million Kenyans live in abject poverty unable to meet their daily basic needs. All our key sectors like healthcare, agriculture, tourism and education are struggling.
Let us reflect on our educational sector for instance.  The 2009 Cen­sus Report has frightening sta­tis­tics on Education. The re­port indicates that there are a total of 6.6 million Kenyan children who are out of school.
   There are 2.1 million children be­tween the ages of 3 and 5 years who are out of Nursery schools.
·    Another 1.9 million children between 6 and 13 years who are out of Primary schools.
·    It gets worse, 2.6 million children between 13 and 17 years are out of Secondary schools
These children are facing a very bleak future and are unlikely to ever es­cape the poverty trap.  This is totally un­acceptable. We are con­demning these children to early marriages, delinquency and destitution. 
Education should not and must not be a privilege of the few but a right for all Kenyan children as stipulated in the Constitution. Edu­cation be­comes a privilege when children cannot go to school because they are poor or cannot afford a meal to keep them in school. It is a privilege when lack of basic items like food, water, uniforms,desks, toilets or sani­tary towels become obstacles to accessing education. Edu­cation is a privilege when a parent has to choose to either send their child to pick coffee, to become a house-help or to get married to the old man next door to get out of poverty.
Out of this sad situation, you will find teenage pregnant girls and juvenile fathers all over the coun­try in Busia, Kwale, Emali, Narok and even Nairobi just to mention a few places.  Unless we find a way of ensuring that these children go to and stay in school now, we are fomenting a civil re­bellion defined by spiraling in­se­cu­rity. We are courting in­sta­bility even as we dream of Vision 2030.
This is just an example of an issue that any concerned leader should employ their skills to solve.
As a country we have very many highly qualified leaders in senior positions. Why have these leaders been unable to trans­form the lives of Kenyans to better living stan­dards? If these leaders have the rel­evant quali­fi­cations to re­spond to the needs of the people, what is lacking? My hy­poth­esis is that while well qualified, most of our leaders still do not es­ca­late the role of Lead­ership and Man­agement. Our leadership nei­ther cares nor has the will, the tools and the skills to tackle the pressing challenges Kenyans face to­day. Our challenges today have to be tackled using different tools, skills and mindset.
In seeking to respond to these per­ti­nent questions, I pursued a course that has expanded my ho­ri­zons on matters of lead­ership and managerial skills. I found this apt and exclusive course on Lead­ership and Management at St. Paul’s University.
It is a rich course that exposes one to the wealth in the roles and re­spon­si­bilities of good lead­ership. Indeed, leadership is about having a vision for the so­ci­ety. It is about sharing this vision and setting goals towards its attainment. Leadership is about influencing and working with people to achieve the set goals while overcoming the ob­stacles that come their way.
Therefore, this added knowledge that I have received from St. Paul’s Uni­ver­sity has given me an oppor­tu­nity to address more clearly the basic issues that re­main a thorn in our country’s flesh.
NARC, the party that I lead has iden­tified “A Basic Needs Revo­lution” that prom­ises Food and water; Healthcare; Education; Women em­pow­erment and Wealth creation for Kenyans in 5 years. These are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound ob­jectives. It is a SMART plan. This is the smartest plan on the table to­day in this country.
Once we effectively tackle these 5 con­cerns we will put our country on the path of Prosperity, Equity and Justice.  From my experiences as a student at St. Paul’s University, I have sharp­ened my vision for Kenya. It is clear in my mind how I will utilize the hands and minds of all Kenyans to take this country to prosperity. I am re-energized and rearing to im­prove the lives of Kenyans as I have detailed out in my 'Ahadi Tano Miaka Mitano' program.
God Bless SPU.
God bless all of you
God Bless our country Kenya.”

theanchormedia blogspot

Popular Posts